forum.comicostrich.com Forum Index forum.comicostrich.com
ComicOstrich Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Top 10 Sci-Fi movies
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.comicostrich.com Forum Index -> PodWarp 1999
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Axonite
Super Ostrich

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Top 10 Sci-Fi movies Reply with quote

In Episode 19, we were discussing (and disagreeing with) the AFI Top 10 Sci-Fi movie list.

So - let's get a PodWarp 1999 Top 10 movie list together! If you've got a list of your 10 favorite sci-fi films, post it here, and we'll put a top 10 list together based on the results.

And then we can disagree with that. Smile
Egg

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind that this is a list of what you think are the best science fiction movies... not the ones that are your favorites. Buckaroo Banzai is one of my favorite sci fi movies, but I wouldn't put it on the list of the best.

Also, I think it's a good idea to concentrate on which 10 you pick, as opposed to arguing over what order they're in.

1. Star Wars (1977)
2. Alien (1979)
3. 2001 (1968)
4. Forbidden Planet (1956)
5. The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)
6. Nausicaä of the Valley of Wind (1984)
7. Blade Runner (1982)
8. The Terminator (1984)
9. Crusher Joe (1983)
10. The Matrix (1999)

And yes, I put Star Wars at #1 just to piss off Ben.

I thought for a while about whether sequels should qualify, but since the 4 sequels I considered (2010, Aliens, Terminator 2: Judgment Day, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back) are represented on the list by the original movie, I left them off.

It's amazing how many great sci fi movies there were in early eighties (add The Thing (1982), Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982) et cetera), and how few there have been since.
JjAR
Egg

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok...hmmm....

1. Metropolis (1927)
2. Blade Runner (1982)
3. Back to the Future (1985)
4. 12 monkeys (1995)
5. Akira (1988)
6. The Terminator (1984)
7. Alien (1979)
8. Ghost in the Shell (1995)
9. Star Wars (1979)
10. Planet of the apes (1968)
dph_of_rules
Ostrich

Location: theoritically and only theoritically somewhere in this universe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the movie 2010 suck really bad because I've seen 2001 at video stores for rent, but never saw 2010 available?
Arioch
Egg

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought 2010 was quite good, and along with 2001 is one of the few true "hard-science fiction" movies ever made.

It is a little bit dated with its hardcore Cold War morality play (very similar to the one in The Abyss), but otherwise I think it was very good.
spambot
Egg

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a tough call. I'm terrible about putting these sort of things in a coherent order:

1. The Empire Strikes Back
2. Blade Runner
3. Forbidden Planet
4. Planet of the Apes
5. Ghost in the Shell
6. The Matrix
7. Back to the Future
8. Alien
9. Star Trek: First Contact
10. 12 Monkeys
Chaos
Egg

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alien (1979)
2001 (1968)
Blade Runner (1982)
12 Monkeys (1995)
Star Wars (1977)
The Matrix (1999)
Solaris (2002 or the Russian original, although they are quite different interpretations)
A.I. Artificial Intelligence (2001)
Nirvana (1997)
The Terminator (1984)

Or something like that.
zortic
Egg

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with including sequels in a list like this is that you need to look at them as independent films.

The Empire Strikes Back is definately the best episode of the Star Wars series, but would it stand up if you didn't have any of the rest of the movies? There's very little character/universe introduction and the resolution of the movie is extremely feeble. A New Hope introduces all of the characters, concepts and universe in a movie with a clear ending that could have stood up without any sequels.

I do think there are sequels that work as independent movies; Road Warrier, Aliens, Terminator 2. There is an obvious sense of something happening before, but they supply you with all of the exposition you need to follow it independently. At lease that's my opinion.

Although I am glad to hear that I wasn't the only one who liked 2010.
tbowl
Hatching

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember liking 2010 but I was really little, I need to watch it again. This's all I got. My brain still goo right now.... So in no particular order...

Omega Doom (1997)
Blade Runner (1982)
Matrix (1999)
Black Hole (1979)
Event Horizon (1997)
Beowulf (1999)
Coneheads (1993)
Class of 1999 (1990)
Evolution (2001)
The 5th Element (1997)
Egg

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arioch wrote:

And yes, I put Star Wars at #1 just to piss off Ben.

Ben is right though. Star Wars is over rated. In fact I think Ben was correct about a lot of the movies he disagreed on.
Quote:
It's amazing how many great sci fi movies there were in early eighties (add The Thing (1982), Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982) et cetera), and how few there have been since.

I remember reading it's a backlash against science and technology in Japan.
PS:
Might as throw in Rollerball into the mix.
tbowl
Hatching

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah I forgot about Rollerball. If you're going to bring in Rollerball I'm going to have to throw down Running Man.
Egg

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tbowl wrote:
Ah I forgot about Rollerball. If you're going to bring in Rollerball I'm going to have to throw down Running Man.

You know I just realized dystopia gladiatorial games is technically a subgenre of scifi. I so agree with Ben now that Im thinking about it more. Star Wars and ET do not deserve to be on the top ten list. There are much better movies out there.
Arioch
Egg

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realize that it has become fashionable to turn up one's nose at Star Wars lately -- and given the quality of the recent sequels, that's understandable -- but there is no single SF movie that has had as big an influence on the genre as Star Wars, except perhaps The Day the Earth Stood Still, which more or less invented the "serious" SF genre. I just don't see how someone can say with a straight face that the biggest SF movie of all time doesn't belong in the top 10.

If your alternative is Rollerball... then we have very different notions of what constitutes a good movie.
Chaos
Egg

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realise it wasn't your intent to suggest otherwise, but I just have to say that in my opinion even on its own merit -- ignoring its financial success and the worldwide cultural and industry impact -- Star Wars is simply a great film. At worst (after decades of watching it) there's a few lines of dialogue I'd change.

Arioch wrote:
The Day the Earth Stood Still, which more or less invented the "serious" SF genre.

Hmmn, what about Metropolis? Either way both are great films.

I feel quite guilty about leaving Metropolis, The Day the Earth Stood Still and Forbidden Planet off my list in retrospect.

Arioch wrote:
Buckaroo Banzai is one of my favorite sci fi movies, but I wouldn't put it on the list of the best.

I honestly thought I was the only person who'd even seen this movie, let alone liked it.

Another one of my favourites that belongs a long, long way down the list is Dark Star. I find it amazing that the script for Alien evolved from Dark Star (according to Dan O'Bannon, who wrote both). And of course John Carpenter went on to do The Thing, which I found at least as scary as Alien.

Out of all of these so far, Nausicaä of the Valley of Wind and Crusher Joe are the only ones I've never seen. I've liked everything I've seen of Miyazaki's works. Time to order some DVDs.
Entity325
Hatching

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only real complaint about Arioch's list is Blade Runner. Blade Runner SUCKED!(For the purposes of the class I watched it in, Ghost in the Shell would have been just as good, and it was definitely a better movie.)

hoo... if I were to make my own list, using movies I've seen...

1: Star Wars V: The Empire Strikes Back(has always been my favorite of the series)
2: Forbidden Planet
3: Final Fantasy 7: Advent Children
4: Appleseed(speaking of which, I need to get my hands on the new one)
5: Galaxy Quest
6: End of Evangelion(I likes me a good mindscrew.)
7: Star Trek: The Motion Picture
8: Paycheck
9: Serenity
10: Ghost in the Shell

If we stretch things a bit, I'd put District B13 in at #9 and bump The Matrix off the end, but it's not so much Sci-Fi as an action movie set 15 minutes into the future. I originally had the Evangelion remakes in the list, too, but kicked them out because I'm limiting to "One per franchise," which is the only way to not stack the deck full of Star Wars/Trek and a couple of peripherals. Besides, Rebuild of Evangelion doesn't quite qualify as a "movie." My dad's concluded the problem with the prequel Star Wars movies was that there was no Han Solo character to not take things seriously.(in fact, we had the opposite in Anakin Skywalker: Emo Jedi)

I also would make the claim that A.I. was lousy, especially if you consider how the story was told as much as what said story is. Evolution suffered from shoddy story, poor writing, and a deep, burning desire for an R rating.(May have actually been better if they'd just made an R movie instead of... whatever it was)

Come to think of it, Wall-E probably belongs on the list, but I haven't seen it yet, so I can't list it. Nausicaa is good, but I question whether it qualifies as "Sci-Fi."

[edit]my wallscrolls reminded me: FF7: Advent Children, which gets The Matrix bumped off my list, and brings the number of Japanese titles up to 4. Honestly, there would have been more anime on my list, if TV shows qualified, as well.[/edit]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.comicostrich.com Forum Index -> PodWarp 1999 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: