forum.comicostrich.com Forum Index forum.comicostrich.com
ComicOstrich Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

YOUR sci-fi influences

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.comicostrich.com Forum Index -> PodWarp 1999
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrSaltine
Egg

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 1:03 am    Post subject: YOUR sci-fi influences Reply with quote

The Podwarp Crew got to sound off, but what are everyone else's influences?

For myself:
Sci-Fi:
Star Wars novels of the 1990s (before the prequel turdcycle and the New Jedi Order fiasco)
Douglas Adams
Robert Silverberg
Arthur C. Clarke
Dan Simmons
MST3K
Star Trek (only really got into TNG and Voyager)
Dune
Firefly
NonSci-fi
Robert Jordan's (Wheel of Time)
Jasper Fford's (Thursday Next series)
John Barth (Giles Goat-Boy)
Sci-Fact:
Richard Dawkins (The Selfish Gene, The Extended Phenotype, Ancestor's Tale, God Delusion)
Steve Caroll (Endless Things Most Beautiful)
Dan Denett (Darwin's Dangerous Idea)
George Lockuff (Moral Politics, Whose Freedom?)

What about everyone else? What are you in to?
Axonite
Super Ostrich

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, since I'm part of the PodWarp crew, I've already listed mine - but if anyone's interested, I found a couple of the things I mentioned available as e-books on Project Gutenberg:

Space Prison by Tom Godwin: http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/22549
Visitor from Planet X (one of the "Tom Swift Jr." books by "Victor Appleton II"): http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/17985
Egg

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My earliest influence was likely Star Trek. It was a ritual in our house, making sure we were home by 6pm on Saturday to catch ST:TOS in reruns. I admit to making Trek fanfic of the MarySue sort. The Wrath of Khan in particular was hugely influencial, since it hit the theatres when I was just the right age to be awed. I read all the books after that. Actually, I'd still argue that the ST: TWOK novelization is one of the best movie novels out there.

Star Wars, of course. But... to be honest it didn't really inspire me to write in the same way Trek did. Dunno why.

The other big early influence from TV was Star Blazers (and other "Japanimation" from the same era). That show was my first memorable exposure to a serialized story, at least on TV. I copied the 70s anime style in all my drawings.

Those were the things that were at the forefront of my brain when I first invented Galaxion, back in the early 80s. But back then, I was writing Galaxion as a novel. It wasn't I got to university that I was inspired to tell it as a comic. Smile

SF novels that shaped my brain include:
A Wrinkle in Time (and others in the series) by Madeline L'Engle
The War Against the Chtorr series by David Gerrold (although I'm afraid if I reread these I'll discover they're awful)
Ringworld by Larry Niven (though I'm not sure I'd really recommend this to most people)
Firestar (and others in the series) by Michael Flynn
the Vorkosigan books by Lois McMaster Bujold

In comics, my major influences begin with Elfquest and the other series published by WaRP Graphics, A Distant Soil and Mythadventures. Mythadventures was my introduction to Phil Foglio. I have been a raving fan of his work ever since. Scott McCloud's Zot! looms large on my horizon as well. Also some of the early manga published by Viz, like Lum, Area 88, Maison Ikkoku, and Justy.

There are plenty of other authors and artists I admire and enjoy, but I would say these are the ones that most directly affected my storytelling. For better or for worse. Wink
Egg

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a sci-fi webcomic...yet... Wink I am working on putting one together though.

My main sci-fi influences are:

Original Star Trek (where it all began, I suppose)
Blake's 7
Babylon 5
Elite (the computer game)
Firefly/Serenity
Early sci-fi comics (stuff with rocketships in)
Buck Rogers (the concept, if not the actual printed and TV works)
New BSG

I like the darker, more realistic view of sci-fi (not quite dystopian, but getting there). I like the fact that people are still real people in things like B5, Blakes 7 and so on, complete with all their flaws. That's what makes stuff worth reading...
Egg

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Selezen wrote:
I don't have a sci-fi webcomic...yet... Wink I am working on putting one together though.

Ditto for me - glad I'm not the only one! Smile

Okay, some influences off the top of my head...

Writers: Isaac Asimov, Frank Herbert, Larry Niven, Philip K. Dick, Arthur C. Clarke, H.G. Wells, Douglas Adams.

Artists: Syd Mead, Jes Goodwin (amongst other fine Games Workshop folks), Feng Zhu, Ryan Church.

TV Shows: Doctor Who (up to and somewhat including Doctor #6/Colin Baker, at least), Stargate SG-1, Red Dwarf, Blake's 7, X-Files, Star Trek (or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Technobabble).

Films: 2001: A Space Odyssey, Blade Runner, Alien/Aliens, Nirvana, Star Wars Episodes 4/5/6 (in original form), The Fifth Element, The City of Lost Children, Brazil/12 Monkeys/Time Bandits...

Also Explorers (one of my all-time faves), Flight of the Navigator, Back To The Future and other light-hearted sci-fi movies.
Ben Paddon
Egg

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chaos wrote:
Selezen wrote:

Ditto for me - glad I'm not the only one! Smile

Okay, some influences off the top of my head...

Writers: Isaac Asimov, Frank Herbert, Larry Niven, Philip K. Dick, Arthur C. Clarke, H.G. Wells, Douglas Adams.

Artists: Syd Mead, Jes Goodwin (amongst other fine Games Workshop folks), Feng Zhu, Ryan Church.

TV Shows: Doctor Who (up to and somewhat including Doctor #6/Colin Baker, at least), Stargate SG-1, Red Dwarf, Blake's 7, X-Files, Star Trek (or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Technobabble).

Films: 2001: A Space Odyssey, Blade Runner, Alien/Aliens, Nirvana, Star Wars Episodes 4/5/6 (in original form), The Fifth Element, The City of Lost Children, Brazil/12 Monkeys/Time Bandits...

Also Explorers (one of my all-time faves), Flight of the Navigator, Back To The Future and other light-hearted sci-fi movies.

Marry me.
Egg

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben Paddon wrote:
Marry me.

Sorry Ben, I don't think it would work out; I think we may harbour irreconcilable differences over Joss Whedon... Wink
Kyle Voltti
Egg

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as mearly a reader of Sci-Fi I'd like to give a nod to the TV show Prisoners of Gravity
Adam_Y
Egg

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sci-Fi
Transformers
Inspector Gadget???
Cyborg 009
Megas XLR
Stargate SG-1
Mcguyver
Anything with robots in it...

Real Science
Junkyard Wars (A covert Red Dwarf reference)
Battlebots
Mythbusters
spambot
Egg

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off the top of my head and in no particular order or organizational style:

Mystery Science Theater 3000
Douglas Adams
Terry Pratchett
Doctor Who (though admittedly I only found it the last year or two)
Sam and Max
They Might Be Giants
Space Quest
Ender's Game
Chrono Trigger
Ray Bradbury
Timothy Zhan's Star Wars Trilogy (The one where the clone wars were hinted at and actually sounded cool, and not like a huge waste of time)
Blade Runner
H.P. Lovecraft
H.G. Wells
Maniac Mansion/Day of the Tentacle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.comicostrich.com Forum Index -> PodWarp 1999 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: