forum.comicostrich.com Forum Index forum.comicostrich.com
ComicOstrich Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

hihi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.comicostrich.com Forum Index -> PodWarp 1999
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tbowl
Hatching

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject: hihi Reply with quote

I know I'm starting from the beginning of the episodes and working my way forward, so it seems silly to me to try to comment on old stuff but ya'll say so many things that're relevant to my comic even though it isn't a Sci-Fi setting even though its in the future, yadda yadda.

So anyway!

I like the idea about keeping characters 'growing' through the comic, not just your art growing. My character actually gets his weapon socketted at one point with a new gem, and does get to hold onto it and it does change the story.

But there's also two things that change with him that are only temporary, which were his Metapaladin powers and his shrink that happens. Each only happen for an arc a piece then get reversed. Both were planned though. So I think it is fun to do a little bit of both.

I just got done with the Dues Ex Machina rant episode. That was some hilarious stuff. I don't have a reset button anywhere in my comic, but there are points where, if my character does get overwhelmed he can call in bigger guns, or become more powerful....... I think he has to call in a stronger paladin one time, and it was planned but I don't think it was planned very far out. It ends up working really well though, at least in my opinion.

Also there's a bird that carries him point A to point B a few times. Which maybe could be DEM but I talk about birds every once in a while in the comic, to try to set up that birds are like the helpers of the trees and stuff... (Shrugs)

Then also there is the Screw-Up fairy. Which I guess is my universe's version of Q. Except that she only ever makes things worse. Is that DEM? I think it's hilarious but I suppose if you're anti-DEM it could make things frustrating. She's only messed up the comic one time where it actually changed the story and that was for a pretty big arc.

I guess I need a DEM auditor? I guess I feel bad because its like, okay I'm ready for Future Paladin to get shrunk. I have no idea how to do that? But I want it to happen... So... Here comes the screw-up fairy! Or, okay. It's time for him to get big again, I'm tired of this part of the story arc and there's no way he can proceed small. Here comes a paladin that can for some reason cure his 'small-ness'... So *poof*

So I don't know. I guess I've never even thought of it before this episode. Q is kept in check in Star Trek because he's such a pompus ass. There's a book where Q and Trelane get in a fight. There's an episode where he gets in a fight with a girl Q. There's an episode where he gets stripped of his powers and almost gets killed by all the aliens he's pissed off. And also it seems like if they just ignore him and say they don't want his help, he does go away..

So I don't know. They do seem to use him a lot though. He ressurects a character at one point... He also makes Wesley older temporarily. Makes Riker a captain or something...

Ah I don't know. I'm not trying to spur up conversation or anything. Just talkin about my comic cuz even though it doesn't have spaceships, it is in the future, but is on Earth, and does have a lot of the plot point ya'll talk about.

Razz

Edit: Oh yea and the plagiarism vs homage vs parody. Sometimes I write down a clip of a song and use song lyrics instead of dialog because I think its funny that there are songs that have words that were basically going to go into my comic anyway cuz of how much songs have influenced how I talk (homage). And other times the song needs to get a few words switched around to go with a situation (parody). But I think the only way I could full blown plagiarize a song in my comic is if I like said...

This is the Future Paladin Healing Song! And then it was the exact lyrics to Red Dwarf. Does that make sense? But my characters walk around saying lyrics to songs instead of actual dialog all the time. Razz Especially when action is taking place. Or clips of dialogs from movies, shows.... stuff off the internet... Ugh. Razz My comic is one giant pop culture reference book on top of everything else it is. Razz
Super Ostrich

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: hihi Reply with quote

tbowl wrote:
So I don't know. I guess I've never even thought of it before this episode. Q is kept in check in Star Trek because he's such a pompus ass. There's a book where Q and Trelane get in a fight. There's an episode where he gets in a fight with a girl Q. There's an episode where he gets stripped of his powers and almost gets killed by all the aliens he's pissed off. And also it seems like if they just ignore him and say they don't want his help, he does go away..

So I don't know. They do seem to use him a lot though. He ressurects a character at one point... He also makes Wesley older temporarily. Makes Riker a captain or something...

In the episode you mentioned where he gets stripped of his powers, you could say there was a bit of a DEM where he magically fixed the orbit of a moon at the end - but then that wasn't really the main point of the episode, the loss of his powers was. I suppose you could say that was also fixed by way of a DEM when Q2 showed up and restored Q's powers - but to me, I think of a DEM as something that comes out of nowhere and has little (or nothing) to do with the rest of the story, and in this case, it was a Star Trek episode featuring Q, so what else would we expect? Smile

For your comic, your universe includes a screw-up fairy. The screw-up fairy does stuff, and the story goes where it needs to. I don't know if it counts as a DEM, but it works for the universe your comic is set in!
Hatching

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh holy crap I totally forgot about Q2!!!

I think my universe includes Screw-Up Fairy because I think everyone's life has a bit of a Screw-Up Fairy and my comic was completely without one, just lots of 'oh...crap!' moments.

So yea, if that makes sense. My comic was lacking a tiny bit of randomness I think. Erm. It's complicated. I needed ways to take big leaps in story in short distances to get to my next story arc, but in a way its fun to put my character through crap and see how he deals, like... SURPRISE YOU'RE SHRUNK IN THE MIDDLE OF AN ANT HILL!!!

In all other shrinking movies its like, you're shrunk and everything's okay... Even in like The Ant Bully... totally different situation I think..

Erm anyway. I'm really tired. I just love talking about my comic. Razz Nobody ever really wants to talk to me about it. Razz I think they just listen to be nice. Anyway. Really tired. Work tomorrow. Talk to ya'll's later!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.comicostrich.com Forum Index -> PodWarp 1999 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: