forum.comicostrich.com Forum Index forum.comicostrich.com
ComicOstrich Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Great moments in sci-fi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.comicostrich.com Forum Index -> PodWarp 1999
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Axonite
Super Ostrich

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: Great moments in sci-fi Reply with quote

A recent flea market find... "Spock, Messiah!"

"Death Dance in Space"

As a radioactive space typhoon rages towards the starship Enterprise, an eerie menace holds Captain Kirk and his crew in its terrifying power. Never before have they confronted such an awesomely evil force.

And the one being who can save them - Mr. Spock - has become a maniacal killer who plans to conquer the universe...

That actually sort of ties in with the "why haven't Vulcans taken over?" question from the aliens discussion... Smile
Egg

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved that book! Simply because it was one of the first Star Trek novels.

I wonder if I still have it somewhere?
ttallan
Egg

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I confess to having a soft spot for The Wrath of Khan novel by Vonda McIntyre. It was one of the better movie adaptations I've ever read. Of course, I read it when I was twelve...

And I went on to read the next zillion novels in the series, because i was a great big convention-going trekkie nerd. Until ST: TNG came along, at which point I gave up on the books and just watched it on TV!
Egg

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta watch out for those radioactive space typhoons.

I must have read the Wrath of Khan novelization, because I seem to recall a graphic description of Khan's fatal injuries as he struggles to spit out his curse in the climactic scene... don't recall realizing it was Vonda McIntyre. I do recall reading her Enterprise: The First Adventure and not really liking how Kirk was portrayed as kind of a witless frat-boy. I think those are probably the only two Star Trek novels I ever read.
zortic
Egg

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Tara, I read everything until the Next Generation saturated the market. I couldn't read fast enough to keep up with everything that started to come out.

I remember reading the "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" novelization (written by Gene Roddenberry) before seeing the movie and expecting it to be the greatest Star Trek ever. (Spock's internal struggle stuff was so much more effective in prose than in the chopped up original cut.)

I also like the added back story in the "Wrath of Khan" novel about Sasvik and David. I think they even dealt with Saavik being half Romulan?
Arioch
Egg

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zortic wrote:
I also like the added back story in the "Wrath of Khan" novel about Sasvik and David. I think they even dealt with Saavik being half Romulan?

Yes, thanks for the memory jog. That was something I really liked about that novelization... there was a lot about how Saavik was having a constant struggle suppressing her Romulan emotions, and the problems associated with her upbringing, that was really compelling. You see a little hint of this in Kirstie Alley's performance, but then in the next movie Robin Curtis plays her straight Vulcan.

Thinking back, I believe I must have read a few of the Star Trek Log books that my dad had in his bookshelf, but I don't really remember anything about them.
Axonite
Super Ostrich

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zortic wrote:

I loved that book! Simply because it was one of the first Star Trek novels.

I wonder if I still have it somewhere?

I'm looking forward to reading it... Some of the early Star Trek novels Bantam published were pretty interesting. I remember liking "Spock Must Die!" (But very much not liking "The Price of the Phoenix.")
Arioch wrote:
zortic wrote:

Yes, thanks for the memory jog. That was something I really liked about that novelization... there was a lot about how Saavik was having a constant struggle suppressing her Romulan emotions, and the problems asso
ciated with her upbringing, that was really compelling. You see a little hint of this in Kirstie Alley's performance, but then in the next movie Robin Curtis plays her straight Vulcan.

There was a lot of extra material about Scotty's nephew, too. The Star Trek III novelization was also pretty good, and followed up on a lot of this.
Arioch wrote:

Thinking back, I believe I must have read a few of the Star Trek Log books that my dad had in his bookshelf, but I don't really remember anything about them.

Were they the Alan Dean Foster novelizations of the animated show or the James Blish novelizations of the original series? (Original draft scrips, in some cases, which resulted in a lot of strange differences between what was in the books and what was on the screen!)
Egg

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Axonite wrote:
Were they the Alan Dean Foster novelizations of the animated show or the James Blish novelizations of the original series? (Original draft scrips, in some cases, which resulted in a lot of strange differences between what was in the books and what was on the screen!)

T'was the latter, but I don't recall any details.
ronald
Hatching

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Great moments in sci-fi Reply with quote

Axonite wrote:
A recent flea market find... "Spock, Messiah!"

"Death Dance in Space"

As a radioactive space typhoon rages towards the starship Enterprise, an eerie menace holds Captain Kirk and his crew in its terrifying power. Never before have they confronted such an awesomely evil force.

And the one being who can save them - Mr. Spock - has become a maniacal killer who plans to conquer the universe...

That actually sort of ties in with the "why haven't Vulcans taken over?" question from the aliens discussion... Smile

I miss the green faced aliens....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.comicostrich.com Forum Index -> PodWarp 1999 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: