forum.comicostrich.com Forum Index forum.comicostrich.com
ComicOstrich Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Favorite Sci-Fi 'magic' rooms

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.comicostrich.com Forum Index -> PodWarp 1999
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tbowl
Hatching

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:21 am    Post subject: Favorite Sci-Fi 'magic' rooms Reply with quote

I was thinking of a list of my favorite Sci-Fi 'magic' rooms where it's like "Oh, we have this cool technology, and it allows us to do whatever in this room even though everything else is fairly ordinary.

X-Men. Danger Room

Can make giant robots, jungles, walk forever. Some of it is robots they actually have to fund though. But how does Professor X always seem to have more money than Bill Gates. Oh well...

Star Trek. Holodeck

Can't do the giant robot thing, but I remember an episode where someone takes a bath in there. And Worf likes to fight things in the jungle, just like Wolverine does in the Danger Room. And they go in there to play little simulated games like Sherlock Holmes and stuff. Sometimes they even get self aware and try to take over the ship. Pretty high-tech stuff. Also in DS9 Quark has smaller holo-rooms where his hookers take patrons in to provide services... Uh... Yea...

Red Dwarf. Justice Field

Fairly simple. Anything you do to harm anything, will happen to you. Reforms people pretty quick. Stab someone, it stabs you instead. Light someone on fire, you get lit on fire instead. But what happens if you start screaming insults at someone I wonder... Or make someone really really depressed...
Egg

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing about the Justice Field is that if you commit a crime within it, you suffer the repercussions. Rimmer says this himself in the episode: "Whatever crime you try and commit, the consequences happen to you... Same with stealing. Same with everything." Unless the future of Red Dwarf is akin to that of Demolition Man, where cursing and verbal abuse is itself a crime, there's not much way that the Justice Field can react.
Hatching

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh that's right!!!!!!!!! I forgot about the stealing!!!!!!!!! And yea, it was about crimes that's right....
Egg

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One that comes to mind is the Magic Tree on Dagobah in The Empire Strikes Back. You go in and it tests you, and even though it is said to be of the Dark Side, it's apparently harmless (as Yoda urges Luke not to bring his weapons).
tbowl
Hatching

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That isn't the only time they do that either. Between Starwars 2 and Starwars 3 there's those cartoons that they made (Clone Wars vol. 2). (Not the new animated one.)

*spoiler central*

Anakin has gone through all of the tests but the 'test the most evil part of yourself' test just like Luke had to go through, except it does it in some kind of cave wall thing.

It basically prophasized him killing his wife yadda yadda and going evil yadda yadda.

I guess what blows me away with that whole series, is that not only does everyone already know, but they word-for-word even flat out tell Anakin everything thats going to happen OVER AND OVER AND OVER in those stupid movies and he does every single thing that everything tells him NOT TO DO even up to the last part of 3 where Obi flat out tells him DO NOT JUMP OVER HERE, I WILL SLICE YOU IN HALF.

I mean what the hell. Could they made him anymore retarded?

So anyway, magic cave wall that tells the future that nobody listens to.

Sweet.
Egg

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't count any Star Wars movie after Return of the Jedi. Wink
tbowl
Hatching

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know. I'm just sayin. If you count the books, comics, videogames and spinoffs you see the exact same formula used over and over. That is kind of what I was going for since the magic tree of weirdness on Degobah was brought up.
Super Ostrich

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe a better example from Red Dwarf would be the "Total Immersion Video Game" - seen in "Better Than Life," "Back To Reality," etc.
Hatching

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good point. It didn't make sense because how, if they all had equal powers, could one person's power (Rimmer's) overwhelm the rest of them and get them all stuck? They didn't really explain it, unless his pain is stronger than all of their wildest dreams?

It's a tough sell...

I would be lying though if I didn't have the gazpacho soup scene playing in my head every time I'm in a meeting or at a resteraunt with my co-workers 2-tiers above me... I just order a Root Beer and chicken salad and call it good. :/
Egg

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the idea was that Rimmer's psychosis are that deeply embedded. Plus it was funnier that way.

I always thought the Holodeck was a fun invention of the show. At least at first. Then it always started to break down every other episode.
The problem is, I think it would be much more addicting than they let on. I only ever recall the one episode about it where Barkley was addicted to having the other crew members act like idiots.
tbowl
Hatching

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Holodeck would be just as, if not more addicting than BTL (Better Than Life) where in the Shadowrun and Tek universes they are regarded as drugs, and Red Dwarf was counted as a videogame, which is fine they all had the same basic purpose in the end.

But I think the Holodeck would actually be more addicting.

If you think about it, why live in a house at all? Why not just everyone live in a 6 foot by 6 foot smell and soundproof cube with a huge lock on the door in crappy-land and it'd pan out into a giant tajma hall and you wouldn't even really need any belongings cuz you could just create whatever you wanted...

Kind of like what Trelane had going at his place.

I mean the whole Holodeck thing is just ... they didn't think that out at all. But I did know they had to reserve it much like a conference room, but they don't say what the waiting list was, or if it was reserved to only people Ensign and up... (Or whatever their rank was just above ensign, ensign jg?

Anyway BTL on the other hand I think would be less popular, cuz it is more drug-like, and at least with a Holodeck you could monitor if people are starting to exhibit predatory and/or any kind of activity that could escelate into real life... (If that makes sense without just blurting it out..)

Even in Minority Report they had BTL in these 'internet cafe' style things... and I think some of those even had what they considered like 'illegal BTLs'... Ugh...
Egg

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember correctly, in Minority Report it was illegal to run a murder simulator, so I guess the anti-video game lobbyists used that argument even in the future!
Kyle Voltti
Egg

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well if we're going to talk about VR then the sqids in Strange days should count too. a VR system that records and plays back physical sensations.
Arioch
Egg

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VR is really just another form of a "dream sequence", so it doesn't really count as a magic room.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.comicostrich.com Forum Index -> PodWarp 1999 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: