forum.comicostrich.com Forum Index forum.comicostrich.com
ComicOstrich Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recording tonight - anyone have any topic suggestions?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.comicostrich.com Forum Index -> PodWarp 1999
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ben Paddon
Egg

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject: Recording tonight - anyone have any topic suggestions? Reply with quote

Ahoy, PodWarpers!

We'll be recording Episode 14 of PodWarp 1999 tonight and I thought it'd be fun to see if there are any topics out there you lot would like us to tackle that we haven't already. We'll be recording at around 6pm PST so you have about five hours to get your suggestions in.

And... go!
Egg

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... is there a discussion topic that will keep you away from talking about Red Dwarf? Wink

I haven't listened to all of the podcasts yet so apologies if this has already been covered. I was listening to cast 3 today and you were talkin about clothing in comics and how it rarely gets dirty or changed. Do you count the costume of a character to be an integral part of the character design? It's a question to all the casters...

I'm thoroughly enjoying the podcasts, so thanks to you all for producing them!
Egg

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one that's been on my mind. What do you use as reference for your spaceship/spacestation/alien planet settings? I have trouble with perspective at the best of times, and trying to come up with architecture in my head is just asking for trouble. I'm still experimenting with different source material that I can use as reference and inspiration. Any thoughts?

On a similar vein, do you use reference for characters? When you find yourself having to draw new characters or the old ones from an awkward angle, how do you do it? Construct it in your head, look at other people's comics, get your friends to pose for you?
Egg

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're discussing these now, and I'm actually reading your comic as we record, Tara. Gotta say, I really like the art style and the story looks promising. Methinks I'll keep an eye on this one!
Egg

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So when does it go live then? Couple of days after the recording?
Egg

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a good week, yes! Episode 14 is still being edited. Episode 15 is going up in... ooh, a few hours.
Egg

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben Paddon wrote:
We're discussing these now, and I'm actually reading your comic as we record, Tara. Gotta say, I really like the art style and the story looks promising. Methinks I'll keep an eye on this one!

Hey, thanks! Smile

I forget when I started reading Jump Leads, but it was quite a while ago. From a review somewhere, maybe? Seeing it described as "British sci-fi humour" was a great hook for a Dr Who/Douglas Adams/Not so much Red Dwarf, can't explain that omission/Terry Pratchett/etc. fan like me.
Egg

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that's how I started promoting it. People have sort-of latched onto the similarities between Jump Leads and things like Doctor Who and Red Dwarf. Probably because those two shows were huge influences on me when I was putting the idea together.
Egg

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben Paddon wrote:
People have sort-of latched onto the similarities between Jump Leads and things like Doctor Who and Red Dwarf. Probably because those two shows were huge influences on me when I was putting the idea together.

Hey, yeah? You should bring that up on the podcast sometime!

Laughing

(sorry, that was a cheap shot, but I couldn't help it...!)
Egg

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y'know what? I'm just going to keep my mouth shut from now on. Smile
Egg

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttallan wrote:
Ben Paddon wrote:
People have sort-of latched onto the similarities between Jump Leads and things like Doctor Who and Red Dwarf. Probably because those two shows were huge influences on me when I was putting the idea together.

Hey, yeah? You should bring that up on the podcast sometime!

Laughing

(sorry, that was a cheap shot, but I couldn't help it...!)

Don't forgot his advertising. He brings that up on his advertising.
Ben Paddon
Egg

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technically someone else brought it up. I'm just using the quote.
Egg

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just listening to Ep 15 now, and thanks for the detailed answer!

Also, thanks for making me out to be a complete twit! <winky smiley>

I feel dead guilty now for bringing up the Red Dwarf thing. I shall hang my head in shame and go stand in the corner. Wink

Your discussion covered a lot of stuff about character design, for which I thank you again. I asked the question because the character design and the costume was something I had to think a lot about when I first started designing Battle Barge. As you can tell from the first few comics, I couldn't draw for toffee when I started the comic. It was always (and still is) a learning experience to improve my ability to draw people. back then I didn't fell confident enough in my drawing skills to be able to draw the main characters consistently, so I used the costumes to differentiate between the characters (Simon=green shirt, Tim=yellow shirt) whilst I worked on thier defining features. The concept kind of stuck, even now that they have thier own defining features.

I'm in the middle of a redesign, moving to full 3D character models and the issue of costume is coming up again. Ironically, now that the characters have thier own unique look (including original character models for the females!) they will be wearing a uniform in the new comic setting! That is forefront in my mind as I draw the characters, hence why I thought of asking the question!

Again, thanks for including my question in your podcast...and for pronouncing Selezen properly! For the record, I probably talk about Red Dwarf at least as often as you do... It gets sneakily watched on cable when the wife is asleep... Very Happy
Egg

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good ol' Dave, eh?
Egg

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually find it sad that Craig Charles has started appearing in Coronation Street. It's a sad end to the stand up comic who became Dave Lister, and seems to put the last nail in the RD movie's coffin.

Sad

On another tangent, I just found out that I've read your work before, Ben. I stumbled across Euan Mumford's Rooms a year or so back and read some of that and the other Psycheverse stuff!

I find it amazing how things seem to go full circle on a regular basis!

Last edited by Selezen on Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.comicostrich.com Forum Index -> PodWarp 1999 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: