forum.comicostrich.com Forum Index forum.comicostrich.com
ComicOstrich Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Transcripts?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.comicostrich.com Forum Index -> PodWarp 1999
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Selezen
Egg

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 9:14 am    Post subject: Transcripts? Reply with quote

Hi guys - I've just started listening to the archive of podcasts, and so far enjoying it very much!

Is there any plan or possibility of producting transcripts? At the very least you have the makings of a book or two in there, which could contain some rather interesting takes on the world of sci-fi webcomics!
Egg

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not something I think any of us have thought about, really! I can see the benefits, of course...
Super Ostrich

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Episode 1, part 1, transcription of first few minutes wrote:

(Intro music)

BEN: Hello! I'm Ben Paddon, and about two weeks ago, Tauhid Bondia, Jim Francis, Mark Mekkes, and Tom Truszkowski and I all decided that we'd get together and have a chat about... stuff... and put it up on the internet as a podcast. There's a bit of a problem, though, we talked for an hour and a half, which is a bit long for a podcast, so what we've decided to do is split it up into two halves. This is the first half, and I have to apologize, because the introduction - not this introduction, the introduction I recorded at the time - it is dire. I apologize for that... Um... Just grin and bear it, the introduction's only a minute, and then it gets good, I promise. So here we go... Enjoy!

(sound effect)

BEN: Hello, people who are listening to this! This is the worst introduction ever. Um... It's incredibly instructured, but we... Let's do it anyway, okay... We're going to be discussing sci-fi webcomicry, sci-fi writing, sci-fi stuff, why the hell, what, uh, blah. Hey! I really need to learn English. I'm Ben Paddon, I'm the creator and defacto head writer of Jump Leads, and if anyone else wants to go ahead and introduce themselves, then go ahead.

TAUHID: Yeah, I'll go ahead. This is Tauhid Bondia, I'm the creator, writer, artist and all that for Good Ship Chronicles.

MARK: I'm Mark Mekkes, I do the comic Zortic.

JIM: I'm Jim Francis, I do the comic Outsider.

TOM: I'm Tom Truszkowski, I do the comic Station V3 and its assorted spinoffs.

BEN: Fantastic, welcome to Jeopardy.

I can see the benefits (though maybe not quite yet!) - and I can also see it'd take a while to transcribe, and involves hitting the "pause" button a lot! Smile
Egg

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Afetr seeing how crap I talk transcribed in this manner, I'm now very much against transcribing the podcast.

Laughing
Egg

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Axonite wrote:

I can see the benefits (though maybe not quite yet!) - and I can also see it'd take a while to transcribe, and involves hitting the "pause" button a lot! Smile

you could always use a program to transcribe the audio file

http://www.nuance.com/naturallyspeaking/

then it's just a matter of going through and editing and formating it.
Entity325
Hatching

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voice to text programs can be picky and occasionally more trouble than they're worth. I had a copy of Dragon Naturally Speaking which, admittedly a decade old now, required an hour or two of my voice to properly calibrate, and in the end, was still less than 1/3 the speed and accuracy of typing.

To make things worse, an Irish friend of mine at the time said it couldn't get past her accent(which I never got to hear), so whoever does edits would still have to go in and type most of what Ben says by hand. Also, Tom's voice is fairly garbled, so I doubt a voice recognition program would be able to make heads or tails out of anything he said.(My microphone was reasonably clear when I was playing with Dragon, and it still had an abnormally hard time with me)

so fully 1/2 of the cast won't get read properly. You'll end up going in and manually typing most of it, anyway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.comicostrich.com Forum Index -> PodWarp 1999 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: