forum.comicostrich.com Forum Index forum.comicostrich.com
ComicOstrich Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Worlds picked by non-professional creators

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.comicostrich.com Forum Index -> Station V3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
animati
Egg

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 6:25 am    Post subject: Worlds picked by non-professional creators Reply with quote

Recently I have been browsing through the list of MMORPG games (link) and it reminded me that there is some kind of "iron list" of topics that humans feel inspired by (I think this might apply mainly to males):

- deep space Smile
- pirates
- medieval (Tolkien, fantasy)
- fallout (this one is from me, I like it, but not many games with that theme)

Why we just keep getting back to those worlds? Is that because we like the idea of wild frontier - it would hint romantic nature of readers/players, or because it's easy to create a story with such a world (vast empty spaces, little people, wilderness)? This would rather suggest the creators are lazy. I know on my own example that every time I try to invent an interesting world, I just finish with fallout-like scenery - after genocide or catastrophe or something similar.

What do you think? What'd you add to the list?
Axonite
Super Ostrich

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two things I can think of with those categories - one is that the settings are familiar enough to have a lot of reference material, and the readers will most likely have enough knowledge to fill in any blanks.

The other, strangely enough, is that the settings (especially deep space) are also UNFAMILIAR enough to come up with all sorts of things and still say "Well, you're not a space alien/pirate/elf/nuclear mutant/etc. - how do YOU know I'm wrong?" Smile
Egg

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First one is just that: lazy authors Wink no-need-to-fill-the-blanks-by-yourself syndrome. It's hell of a work to present coherent world to the readers, with all the little details which make it *seem* real. Speaking of which, I liked that some day on stationv3 commute started - now in each outdoor strip there is shuttle or other craft moving on the sky. I meant exactly such details which make the creation more savoury - things that are not related to the theme, but give an added value.

And I haven't thought about the second one - good shot! Are you suggesting that Superconducting Bozon Gun might not exist in reality? Whoa! Impossible!!!

Now, I feel like sending some cartoon character into space or detonating some a-bombs...
Axonite
Super Ostrich

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

animati wrote:
Now, I feel like sending some cartoon character into space or detonating some a-bombs...

How about some nice medieval pirates? Smile
Egg

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And how about some nice medieval pirates in space armed with nukes hehe and instead of sending poor triangle for a suicide mission, I've decided to play Fallout2 a little bit, now I'm satisfied and the Triangle is still alive.

We should be happy now, eh? Smile
Axonite
Super Ostrich

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We should be. And so should the Triangle! Smile
Hatching

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallout is my favorite genre because not only is it its own, but you can intermingle it with the rest.

Yea you can have wild west in the future after fallout, or whatever, but you always need the fallout. Very Happy

For example, my comic is fantasy, fallout!

Mwahaha!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.comicostrich.com Forum Index -> Station V3 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: