forum.comicostrich.com Forum Index forum.comicostrich.com
ComicOstrich Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Shouting Room: Syndicating over the intertubes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.comicostrich.com Forum Index -> PodWarp 1999
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What is the source of all inspiration
Red Dwarf
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Quark
100%
 100%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 2

AaronLee
Egg

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: The Shouting Room: Syndicating over the intertubes Reply with quote

So, Phoenix without Ashes' section on links and advertising has prompted me to get a' thinnin' about them interwebs.

First off, the talks our trio of tyrranous terror (dramatic prairie dog) made me think about our changing relation to an internet whose networking is gradually becoming automated.

I'll elaborate. So, first, there was the sneakernet (Tv, comic book stores.) However, the internet, as Jim mentioned when he talked about How Awesome Guest Art Is, created a stage where interacting was just as simple as finding another webcomic artist whose work you liked. It was a big deal back then, I'd infer (yes, I remember those days, when the internet felt more like a dark forest than a bustling city. For sooth! What tangental pensiveness!)

These days, though; Google, social bookmarking systems (the stuff everyone uses to appease our robot overlords) and some nice, purpose built and robust systems like project wonderful, allow for diredcting a campaign that will reach out for you.

So, I wonder, what, in addition to what was mentioned in the episode, has changed or is a prevalent topic in syndication of comics and other media (Mr. "Made of stories" might know something about this.) BTW, the community dynamics stuff was pretty interesting. At least most of us now have some kind of technique to compare to.
zortic
Egg

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is the "social networks are dehumanizing social interaction" the next step in the "the internet is dehumanizing social interaction" debate?
And is this going to be the nature of our own "old person" grumbling about "kids today" ramblings?

"Back in my day, you actually had to draw a guest comic, through 10 feet of snow, to be someone's friend!!!"
AaronLee
Egg

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah, I hope not. I actually value the internet for what it's allowed a lot of people to accomplish.

Really, I view it like a "last mile" bridge for groups too small to locally organizae to co-operate. A lot of my favorite indie game (and one indie rock) developers/bands are separated by global hemispheres. Without the internet, there's no way these people could work together with the low expense margins they have (and the world would, hence, suck more.)
ronald
Hatching

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The Shouting Room: Syndicating over the intertubes Reply with quote

AaronLee wrote:
So, Phoenix without Ashes' section on links and advertising has prompted me to get a' thinnin' about them interwebs.

First off, the talks our trio of tyrranous terror (dramatic prairie dog) made me think about our changing relation to an internet whose networking is gradually becoming automated.

I'll elaborate. So, first, there was the sneakernet (Tv, comic book stores.) However, the internet, as Jim mentioned when he talked about How Awesome Guest Art Is, created a stage where interacting was just as simple as finding another webcomic artist whose work you liked. It was a big deal back then, I'd infer (yes, I remember those days, when the internet felt more like a dark forest than a bustling city. For sooth! What tangental pensiveness!)

These days, though; Google, social bookmarking systems (the stuff everyone uses to appease our robot overlords) and some nice, purpose built and robust systems like project wonderful, allow for diredcting a campaign that will reach out for you.

So, I wonder, what, in addition to what was mentioned in the episode, has changed or is a prevalent topic in syndication of comics and other media (Mr. "Made of stories" might know something about this.) BTW, the community dynamics stuff was pretty interesting. At least most of us now have some kind of technique to compare to.

Thanks for your explanation
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.comicostrich.com Forum Index -> PodWarp 1999 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: