forum.comicostrich.com Forum Index forum.comicostrich.com
ComicOstrich Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Top 10 Sci-Fi movies
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.comicostrich.com Forum Index -> PodWarp 1999
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Axonite
Super Ostrich

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tbowl wrote:
Argh my headache is brutally killing me right now and I know that list is wrong because Starship Troopers wasn't on it among a million other sci-fi movies that I know grossed more than Honey, I shrunk the kids.

That list is sci-fi comedies only, which Starship Troopers isn't.

Arioch wrote:
Twins is science fiction?

Well, one of the plot keywords IMDB has for it is "Biological Experiment" - I guess that was good enough for this list too.
Hatching

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well hey! At least I kind of showed the family tree of most popular sci-fi comedy... I wish I could have found a list of the rest of the sci-fi movies in order of gross income. ;(
Super Ostrich

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttallan wrote:
I won't post my list of movies because it'll probably just look a lot like everyone else's, but...

Go ahead anyway! At some point we'll probably try to "average" the lists together to get some kind of overall top 10, so extra "votes" for each movie count. Smile

(I've been watching and rewatching a few things before I put my top 10 up. But I'm pretty sure "Forbidden Planet" is going to be pretty high up there!)
Egg

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arioch wrote:
I just don't see how someone can say with a straight face that the biggest SF movie of all time doesn't belong in the top 10.

I used to like Star Wars but I eventually realized it consisted of twenty thousand aspects from other genres and stuck them in space without doing a very good job if compared to works from the other genres. I don't know why it happened but I can say it with a straight face. Star Wars is a over hyped movie. It doesn't belong in the top ten.
Quote:
Um, yes? I only have to talk to my 7 yr old son to know that. There's a reason Star Wars inspired a generation of SF geeks-- Star Wars is a good story. It may not be intellectual, or adult-themed, or present thought-provoking science, but it is an entertaining space opera with enough neat stuff to make any kid go "wow". I mean, the light saber? Darth Vader? Jedi Knights? It fires the imagination.

Yeah but we are talking about kids The stuff I watched when I a kid was not even close to being the bastion of wonderful programming. The best sci-fi example as to not to use kids to gauge how good something is the original Transformers Series. I can't help but laugh at the original series even though I watched (and still do) the show all the time. The original series was hokey to the extreme.
I would also like to through out Demolition Man for having one of the weirdest predictions come really dam close to the truth. Arnold Swartzenager becoming president. Anyway Mystery Science Theater has to be on the list. And yes before you point out that it was a television series not a movie there was a movie made. Razz Damnation Alley for having the weirdest connection between the Segway.
Entity325
Hatching

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose Halo was a lousy game, too, then?

Not the Biggest Cliffhanger of All Time that was Halo 2, or the last chapter of Halo 2 which got stretched into an entirely new game called Halo 3, the first one. Halo.

'cause people are big on hating Star Wars and Halo right now.
Adam_Y
Egg

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entity325 wrote:
I suppose Halo was a lousy game, too, then?

Not the Biggest Cliffhanger of All Time that was Halo 2, or the last chapter of Halo 2 which got stretched into an entirely new game called Halo 3, the first one. Halo.

'cause people are big on hating Star Wars and Halo right now.

I can't honestly say because I don't own anything that can run Halo. Crying or Very sad If it makes you feel any better I think the Ghost in the Shell comics are also extremely overrated. Not the movie or cartoons.
ronald
Hatching

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Top 10 Sci-Fi movies Reply with quote

Axonite wrote:
In Episode 19, we were discussing (and disagreeing with) the AFI Top 10 Sci-Fi movie list.

So - let's get a PodWarp 1999 Top 10 movie list together! If you've got a list of your 10 favorite sci-fi films, post it here, and we'll put a top 10 list together based on the results.

And then we can disagree with that. Smile

Star Wars, Battlestar Gallactica, Starship Troopers, Star Trek Wrateh of Khan, Lost in Space are top 5
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.comicostrich.com Forum Index -> PodWarp 1999 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: