forum.comicostrich.com Forum Index forum.comicostrich.com
ComicOstrich Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A story fragment

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.comicostrich.com Forum Index -> Station V3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Axonite
Super Ostrich

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 11:57 pm    Post subject: A story fragment Reply with quote

Something from a few years ago I found on an old hard drive:

The sun slowly rose, illuminating the small blue creature resembling a hairy blobs making its way across the barren, rocky landscape.
Another of its type approached it. “Rumor has it the sun’s rising,” it said.
“You can do better than that,” the other replied. “I can see it rising myself. That’s not a rumor.”
“It’ll do it again tomorrow.”
“Where did you hear that?”
“I have my sources.”
The second creature remained silent for a moment as they climbed up the side of a rock. “I think I have a better one,” it said as they reached the top. “I hear it’s inspection time up on the station.”
“Rumor has it they’re going to fail,” the first rumormonger replied.
“That’s not a rumor.”

With a slight hesitation, the shuttle bay doors opened, allowing the inspection shuttle into the station. The doors slowly closed again, and a fluorescent light flickered into life, illuminating the small, cramped shuttle bay as Franklin, an advanced model inspection robot, emerged from the shuttle. He scanned the shuttle bay, registering extreme disapproval at nearly everything he saw, including the green man with a hat and clipboard who had just entered the room.
“You must be Franklin,” the man said. “Welcome to Station V3. I’m Mr. Maintenance Engineer.”
Franklin’s eye lights flashed. “Is that your name or your function?”
“It’s both,” Mr. Maintenance Engineer replied.
“Then you’ll want to know. The shuttle bay doors hesitated slightly while letting my shuttle in.”
“Ah. Yes.” Mr. Maintenance Engineer consulted his clipboard. “We had noticed that. However, since they are still fulfilling their function of opening and closing and not letting the station’s air out, that problem has been assigned a low priority.”
“I’ve also detected a fuel leak, a radiation leak, peeling paint, and general filth.”
Mr. Maintenance Engineer consulted his clipboard. “Was that before or after you got out of your shuttle?”
Franklin’s eye lights flashed again. “Floyd is your administrator droid, correct?”
Mr. Maintenance Engineer nodded. “That’s right.”
Franklin rolled towards the door. “Show me to his office. I have a few things to say to him.”
Mr. Maintenance Engineer sighed and followed Franklin out the door. He paused for a moment, glancing at the shuttle bay doors and regretting that they had opened at all.

“I calculate a high probability of failure,” the computer said. “Your antenna just isn’t sensitive enough to pick up the signal.”
Floyd turned to a nearby screen. “And cable isn’t in the budget.” He turned back to the computer. “Now, what about the inspection?”
“Failure is guaranteed,” the computer replied.
“Even if we fire Morty?”
“Floyd!” Franklin rolled into the room. “This station of yours is a disgrace. I’ve detected a dozen reasons to fail you already, and I haven’t even started with the inspection!”
“Told you,” the computer said.
Floyd turned to face Franklin. “We’ll be happy to address any concerns you may have. I want you to know you’ll have our full stereo with the oxen gorse forest.”
Franklin’s eye lights dimmed. “What?”
“Beep!” Floyd rolled forward towards Franklin. “Beep! Beep beep! BEEP!”
Mr. Maintenance Engineer entered the room and reached a claw out towards Floyd. Floyd scooted away, still beeping, until finally stopping in the corner of the room and spinning around until Mr. Maintenance Engineer could deactivate him. Mr. Maintenance Engineer turned back towards Franklin. “Yes, we’re aware of this problem too.”
“And I suppose it’s also a low priority?”
“Just below the shuttle bay doors.”
“This is going to be an interesting inspection.”
Mr. Maintenance Engineer gestured towards the door. “Would you like to get started?”
“Certainly.”
“I’ll save you the time,” the computer called after them as they left the room. “We fail.”

Emmit stared at the dinner special and wondered if it was staring back. “Try this,” the Chef said, gesturing with a blue tentacle. “It’s good for you. Full of all sorts of vitamins, including a few you probably don’t even know about.”
Emmit turned to the robot in line with him. “What do you think, Unit Six?”
“I have no idea,” Unit Six replied. “I don’t eat. I only come here for the entertainment value.”
Emmit turned back to the Chef. “What is it?”
“Steamed processed minced by-product.”
“Sounds delicious. What else are you serving today?”
The Chef took the lid off another pot and waved away the light purple smoke that billowed out of it. “Minced processed steamed by-product.”
“I think I’ll just have the usual.”
“You can’t,” the Chef replied. “The pizza place doesn’t deliver on Wednesdays.”
Emmit grimaced and held out his tray. “Surprise me, then.”
The Chef scooped out a large portion of one of the by-product specials and put it on Emmit’s plate. “There you go! Enjoy.”
Emmit and Unit Six walked over to a nearby booth and sat down. Emmit prodded at the mound of glop on his plate unenthusiastically. “’Enjoy,’ he says.”
“I think I get more fun watching you eat this stuff than you do eating it,” Unit Six observed.
“No kidding.” Emmit took a small forkful and held it up to his mouth, then thought better of it. “What do you know about this inspection that’s supposed to be going on?”
“Not a lot,” Unit Six replied. “The Station Authority periodically sends some flavor of the month inspector out to a couple random stations, makes a lot of noise, and then generally lets things get back to normal. From what I hear, that’s what we can expect this time, but I don’t have any of the details.”
Emmit nodded. “I heard the inspector’s shuttle arrived earlier. I guess he’s getting the grand tour of the station right now.”
“What sort of tour of this station would qualify as grand?”
Emmit finally took a bite of his dinner and choked it down. “One that didn’t include a visit to the cafeteria would be off to a good start.”

Linton adjusted the strap on his simulation suit. “Best two out of three, Morty,” he said. “And this is my simulation, so you’re not supposed to be winning.”
Morty rolled his eyes and oozed his way into an open simulation helmet.
The door to the office opened, and Franklin entered with Mr. Maintenance Engineer. “This is our security office,” Mr. Maintenance Engineer said. He pointed to Linton. “When our security officer isn’t busy with security matters, he likes to keep sharp with all the latest simulations. Whatever situation might come up on the station, he’ll most likely have experienced it in simulation.”
“I see,” Franklin replied. He rolled forward and checked one of the displays on the simulation system. “So if any pro wrestlers visit the station, he’ll be ready for them.”
Suddenly Linton was slammed to the floor.
“We can hope,” Mr. Maintenance Engineer said.
“Best three out of five, Morty,” Linton said.
Senior Ostrich

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erich Segal meets V3.Slow narrative with heavy V3 flavor.
-2!
Senior Ostrich

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Mr. Maintenance Engineers positive spin on Linton's security simulations.

edit: karandpr, you should check out the 3 or so old very short station V3 stories.

This is a nice signature we are taking over!
very nice!
Axonite
Super Ostrich

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to write some more... Or at least see if I've got some more unfinished ones somewhere. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.comicostrich.com Forum Index -> Station V3 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: