forum.comicostrich.com Forum Index forum.comicostrich.com
ComicOstrich Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Killbots, terminators and AI 'rebellion'
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.comicostrich.com Forum Index -> PodWarp 1999
View previous topic :: View next topic  

All hail our robot overlords?
Hail!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Not if they have any sense, AI buddies!
66%
 66%  [ 6 ]
You've made the wrong enemy today! Engineer a super-virus!
33%
 33%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 9

Adam_Y
Egg

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Assuming a robot can withstand the temperatures (if it's near the blast itself), it's actually the EMP given off upon detonation that has the biggest effect on modern electronics.

The radiation levels themselves would be enough to wreck havoc with any sort of electronics. The only reason why most people bring up EMPs is because of..... I don't know. In general though both effects are a death knell for electronics.
Chaos
Egg

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam_Y wrote:
The radiation levels themselves would be enough to wreck havoc with any sort of electronics. The only reason why most people bring up EMPs is because of..... I don't know. In general though both effects are a death knell for electronics.

I wouldn't say any electronics, but in terms of current consumer-level transistor-based circuitry, I'm not disagreeing with you.

The US government's The Effects of Nuclear Weapons Chapter 11 is dedicated to "The Electromagnetic Pulse and EMP Effects". The main concern highlighted is high-altitude detonation of a nuclear device. In this instance, the EMP potentially affects a very, very large surface area (the entire USA and surrounding countries, in their example).

It's interesting to note that many Russian aircraft are almost impervious to EMP (and radiation), due to their use of valves rather than modern transistors.

On the other hand... Quantum computing transistors will be far more susceptible to radiation than current transistors. As I understand it one of the major roadblocks to quantum computing is establishing appropriate degrees of fault tolerance; and that's just for everyday ambient radiation levels.

AaronLee wrote:
Chaos, that avatar reminds me of Crimson Dark, are you familiar with that webcomic? I also have a sneaking suspicion...

I'm reasonably familiar with Crimson Dark; I haven't read it in quite a while though.

My current avatar is part of a picture of me that I messed around with at some point.

What's your sneaking suspicion? Smile I wouldn't like to hazard a guess...

AaronLee wrote:
Anyone into remotely beleivable science fiction and AI related issues should check this out (in my signature.)

EDIT: I couldn't see your signature before, but I can now. I'll check it out ASAP - you've piqued my interest... Although I have far more immediate AI related issues to worry about. Back to work for me! Rolling Eyes
AaronLee
Egg

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'll check it out ASAP - you've piqued my interest... Although I have far more immediate AI related issues to worry about. Back to work for me! Rolling Eyes

Glad you're interested. As far as AIs go, there's reference in the support stuff at the beginning of the chapters for the most part (Except 1, which has none.) Though, the AIs don't start becoming clearly involved in the plot until further on, in this case; the dumb ones. That chapter ends in a rather unexpected way a lot of people enjoyed.

As per the sneaking suspicion, it's squelched. I was thinking you were the author of crimson Dark (That would have been a real bon bon BOOOON!) Anyway, I'm hoping to involve a lot of AI theory related stuff in the story. Indeed, AIs in all forms play a part all the time, including a smattering of godlike entities.
Egg

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AaronLee wrote:
As per the sneaking suspicion, it's squelched. I was thinking you were the author of Crimson Dark (That would have been a real bon bon BOOOON!)

Yeah that was my guess. Smile

I don't have a webcomic officially online yet, myself. I hope to eventually, once I've finished off a couple of other side-projects I have going at the moment.
AaronLee
Egg

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just listened to Ep. 17... screw you, Ben, I don't actually talk like that! I'm MUCH more evil Razz Anyway, all false overreactions and statements on my part aside...

Quote:
Obviously he hasn't seen terminator or I-Robot or the Matrix...

Zohmygawd! The Tilly virus has spread! He basically contends, based on these movies, that he can conclusively say all AI are inherently evil and prone to subterfuge (period.) He's an odd gent, dunno if I mentioned that.
Quote:
The UK has a selection of military satellites codenamed skynet... skynet's already live.

Dear god, I was wrong after all! Why oh why did I not heed the Hollywood blockbusters!
Quote:
Aaron is the manliest man ever to grace the planet earth!

That's right!
Quote:
things could go anywhere

exactly the folly of my posting, I guess.
Quote:
shrimp plans for human genocide

Okay, inaccurately quoted, but a good point. People who are confused, listen to the episode Razz
Quote:
we already have malicious viruses, so 'evil' software is likely

As far as that goes (godlike superviruses) A Fire Upon the Deep is a good read. Artificial, alien entities are touched on. I think it might fit everyone's fancy (I liked it, at least.)
So that was a fun simultaneous trouncing and cerebral exploration of the topic (no grudge against you, Ben.) Thanks for touching on the topic, guys. I feel noticed (cartoonishly overexaggerated jubilation)

Quote:
These are things you should thinka bout and make up on your own instead of just assume

As is the case with any good future minded stuff. Great coup d' grace

Also, Ben. That bug in firefox is because it's gone and become self aware! Run for the hills!
Also... you funny voiced me but not DPH? Should I feel privaleged or belittled? Razz

BTW I've plugged podwarp into an RSS watch on my blog page because I'm nice. In other news, chapter 2 of my tongue-and-cheek science fiction romp is now up![/quote]

Last edited by AaronLee on Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Adam_Y
Egg

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chaos wrote:
Adam_Y wrote:

I wouldn't say any electronics, but in terms of current consumer-level transistor-based circuitry, I'm not disagreeing with you.

Sorry about that. When I should have used a quantifier of non-radiation hardened electronics. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.comicostrich.com Forum Index -> PodWarp 1999 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: