forum.comicostrich.com Forum Index forum.comicostrich.com
ComicOstrich Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Serialized SF online

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.comicostrich.com Forum Index -> PodWarp 1999
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ttallan
Egg

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Serialized SF online Reply with quote

This comes from the thread started by AaronLee, but I decided to give it its own topic.

I admit to knowing not much at all about prose SF online. I've run across it every so often in people's blogs (such as AaronLee's), but that's all I've seen. I used to know a lot about the print market for SF novels and short fiction, at least in Canada (though my knowledge is probably at least 5 years out-of-date), but the idea of wanting to publish your prose story chapter by chapter (or whatever) online is about as mysterious to me as online comics was, three years ago.

So, if there's anyone who knows about this stuff: are there communities or collectives for such writers similar to those that exist for webcomics? Places where you can go to read and/or post a bunch of serialized SF? Forums where you can talk about it? There must be, though I haven't found them (except for fanfic sites). Have there been any writers who made their start on the web, and were later "discovered"?

Self-publishing, traditionally, was seriously looked down upon in writerly circles, but I'd be interested in knowing if web publishing (or indeed, print on demand) has changed that attitude at all. (I doubt it...)
Egg

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay! I'm mentioned.

Anyway, onto the topic. The forum I frequent is Absolute write watercooler, they have a fairly active SF and fantasy section I've posted a few stories on. They're good people and give good feedback if you ask nicely.

Other than that, I find stuff on the net is usually very shrot fiction, of which there's no end to the supply. The blog I have up now is sort of an experiment. I want to see if I can pull in people over the 'net and it's also someplace I can link people to. Linking to the AW forum means I have to dole out the anti-bot password to everyone, which is a pain.

Last edited by AaronLee on Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Arioch
Egg

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some workshop-style forums for people to post their stuff to get feedback on it, but the majority of it that I've seen is fan-fiction oriented. As for actually publishing SF prose on the web, I don't know of any that's not fan-stuff.

I did try posting some sort science fiction stories on my website some years back, but as far as I can tell, no one ever read any of it. I think there has to be a community to drive traffic to things like this, and aside from the aforementioned fan communities, I don't know if there are any for SF online prose. I wouldn't be surprised if this were to change over time as things become more net-centric and traditional paperback readers spend more time online. I don't know, though.
Chaos
Egg

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The communities I've happened across over the years (usually as a prospective reader, not necessarily a contributor) are the aforementioned workshop-style forum sites - which seem to help independent authors reach other independent authors just fine, but do little or nothing to promote the works to a general readership (or even just categorise/organise the works "properly"). Sites that provide this service may be out there, but I haven't been able to find them. There have been some attempts to clone the iTunes model for e-books (which can be self-published), but I don't think they've been very successful thus far.

Maybe the proliferation of half-decent "E-Paper" style e-book readers could become a catalyst for increased interest in self-published literary works? I personally have a hard time reading traditional literature on a computer screen - be it fiction or non-fiction. (Not due to any ocular defect, I might add).

Arioch wrote:
I did try posting some short science fiction stories on my website some years back, but as far as I can tell, no one ever read any of it.

That's a shame - are they still online anywhere?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.comicostrich.com Forum Index -> PodWarp 1999 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: