forum.comicostrich.com Forum Index forum.comicostrich.com
ComicOstrich Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Judge/Judy/Eletrocutioner
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.comicostrich.com Forum Index -> PodWarp 1999
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kyle Voltti
Egg

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I took 'critique' part of the thread and ran with it lol. I guess i feel that the more you standardize a critique the easier it is for people to be closer to objective with it. or some such.
Arioch
Egg

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far I don't think we've really done "reviews" of comics on the podcast, and (at least for me), I don't think we should. We talk about the comic and try to point out the mechanics of specific things that we think work and don't work and why, but we don't give a grade, or even a "thumbs up" or a "thumbs down." A review is a value judgement, and I'm not sure artists should really be in the business of judging other artists' work. That's what critics are for.
ttallan
Egg

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arioch wrote:
So far I don't think we've really done "reviews" of comics on the podcast, and (at least for me), I don't think we should. We talk about the comic and try to point out the mechanics of specific things that we think work and don't work and why, but we don't give a grade, or even a "thumbs up" or a "thumbs down." A review is a value judgement, and I'm not sure artists should really be in the business of judging other artists' work. That's what critics are for.

*bursts out laughing*

But that's what you've spent just about all the podcasts (that I've listened to so far) doing! For sure, the critiques of each other's comics are very in-depth, but I know I heard "I liked it" and other value judgements a least a dozen times. And if I understood you right, you have plans to do the same for other sci fi webcomics out there in future Podwarps. Which is just fine. I don't think you need to change anything about what you guys are doing... but I sure find it funny that you said that!

EDIT: I should add that it was thanks to your "discussion", with all the shared enthusiasm, for Zortic, that I sat down and spent some time in the archives. If you'd just talked about the font choice and the ship design and parody aspect without the positive value judgement, I probably wouldn't have bothered. So there!
Super Ostrich

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, it seems a little different when the comic's creator is present for a discussion of the comic than if we were reviewing someone else's comic. And for me, at least, "liking" something isn't quite the same thing as giving it a rating of, say, One Star, Five Planets, Two Dwarf Planets and a Dozen Asteroids out of a Solar System.

Okay, maybe there's not *that* much difference - but I think there is a little. Smile
Egg

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kyle Voltti wrote:
I guess I took 'critique' part of the thread and ran with it lol. I guess i feel that the more you standardize a critique the easier it is for people to be closer to objective with it. or some such.

I think that's a good goal, to be as objective as possible about others work and your own.

Arioch wrote:

Yeah, I don't think there should be a "graded 1-10" scale as far as having a checklist goes, but a checklist of like: "hey did you check your perspective in that panel?" or "What about trying a different angle in this panel" or "Is the most important thing in this panel emphasized effectively?". Something like that to just keep some bullet points forefront.

I wouldn't want the culmination of this thread to be another "Webcomics Biopsy" like over at halfpixel, but more something we all are reminded of for our own work. Something to help us grow.

I know I've sacrificed quality of composition for the sake of a finished strip before and a list that asks you to check if you've "changed your chonies and brushed your teeth" as far as your comic goes, would be a help I think.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.comicostrich.com Forum Index -> PodWarp 1999 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: